Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Spanish Scutarii: WIP No.1

Whenever I begin a new unit I like to paint two or three figures slowly and one at a time to get a good sense for the colors, the models and the process for getting them to look they way I see them in my head. Once I get them to a place I am happy with I can then start painting several at a time (usually six) to speed up the process.

These are the first three models of Spanish Scutarii that I painted for the upcoming units. I want to give the Spanish units of the army quite a bit of  variety in their individual appearances, so I will use several different colors of green for the tunics and trim, a few different shades of tan for the head cloths and a mix of orange and black for the plumes. All the shields will be hand painted using a wide selection of patterns in black, orange and white.

As you can see in the background of this photo, I have many more of these to paint - but they are rather fun and paint up nicely and quickly.


9 comments:

  1. Those look good. I like the idea of different shield designs that are tied together by colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm really looking forward to seeing a full unit with these large shields in orange and black!

      Delete
  2. Great work so far. Nice colour choice on the shields! Hand painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, all the shields are hand painted.

      Delete
  3. Looks like I'd best get cracking on some more Romans for these guys to fight. They look great. I can't wait to see the whole army on the table together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron, I'm really looking forward to our next battle. You better call in some recruits!

      Delete
  4. Love the colours on these, this will turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orange and black shields make a good look for these fellows.
    Can't wait to see them all massed up!

    I'm quite partial to Scutarii. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only the shields are very well painted, but also the figures! Great work Jonathan!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete