Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Libyan Spearmen: WIP No.1

Next up for me is two units of Libyan spearmen. The photos below are of the test model I painted to see how the color palette I had in my head would translate to an actual model - I think it ended up looking pretty good and I'll be using these colors for at least one of the two units.

The figures for the Libyans are from Gripping Beast and look great in my opinion and will match up with the veteran units wearing chainmail very well. All figures in both units will be standing with upright spears rather than in any attacking stance. I was on the fence for a long time about adding a design to the face of the shield, but I think I like the simplicity of the bronze with just the painted outer ring.

Now, due to poor planning, I just need the weather to warm up so I can base coat about 36 of these and get to work!

  Citadel: Daemonette Hide
  Vallejo: Tan-Earth
  Citadel: Mechrite Red
  Citadel: Blood Red
  Citadel: Gehenna's Gold
  Citadel: Snakebite Leather
  Citadel: Tallarn Flesh


  1. That lilac is nice. Should pop on the table.

  2. The blood red really pops. You have a great eye for color!

    Being unable to prime outside for 4-6 months of the year, I've set up a very large cardboard box in the furnace room that I set on its side, put my figs in and spray. I have a large piece of cardboard on the cement floor to cover for the inevitable drift. I supposed I could paint the primer on but I do paint a lot of figures and I like the coverage I get with spray. Not great but we all make compromises for the things we love!

  3. I like him - looks great.