Wednesday, October 24, 2012

ECW Flag: Scottish Royalist Thistle

With my Carthaginian project well under way and on schedule to have enough units completed for a game next month, I've decided to turn some of my attentions back to my beloved English Civil War project. I have started painting the command stand for the Badenoch Royalists and their commander Ewen Macpherson of Cluny - and what is a commander without an ensign nearby waving a large and gorgeous flag proclaiming their loyalties? And so I fired up the Photoshop machine.

I designed this flag based on the traditional Scottish symbol of the thistle with the Latin slogan "PRO REGE, ET PATRIA (For king and country).

This flag was created using Adobe Photoshop at a suitable resolution for printing (300 ppi) and when printed the final flag measures approximately 40mm x 40mm.

Please, if you like this flag, feel free to download the large version and use it in your own ECW Scottish Royalist regiments.


Scottish Royalist ECW flag. Click for printable version.













Thistle in white. Click for printable version.

8 comments:

  1. That's a beauty!! I really need to get Photoshop, the flag look so much better and I bet they're easier than MS Paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - i do really enjoy designing these flags. Photoshop is certainly great, but it does have a learning curve to become proficient and it is expensive.

      Take a look at the freeware image manipulation software called GIMP - I haven't really used it, but it may be a step in the right direction for you.

      http://www.gimp.org/

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work, I'm tempted to do a Royalist Scots army now, just so I can use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, thanks for the comment. I certainly do hope you start some Royalist Scots just so I can see them.. :)

      Delete
  3. Ray you don't have Photoshop? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nifty. When you print it out and use it, will we get a shot?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I am working on the command base now...

      Delete